The Newport Raised Ranch
Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and few styles evoke one’s inner Don Draper like a classic American Raised Ranch. This simple 2-story structure was the product of the post war housing boom. It’s sturdy, sensible style suited veterans back then, and it’s finding a whole new audience now.
First some history, a Raised Ranch House is a two story house with its foundation serving as one level of the structure. It’s an Architecture style which originated in the USA and primarily in the Western states post war era. To meet the housing boom, builders had an easy fix for accommodating a demand for more living space. Build more houses, but on smaller parcels of land, make them affordable, and with modern features like open kitchens, eat-in dining space with sliders to decks, living room space separated from bedrooms, attached garages, and separate TV/Play rooms. This floor plan works and continues to be built today.
- Easy open floor plan. Lots of windows and sunshine.
- One main floor with the Kitchen, Dining, Living room, Fireplace, Baths, Bedrooms.
- Attached garage space and entry for convenience of stowing stuff like coats, shoes, toys, sports equipment. Helps with organizing and managing a household.
- Teenager’s love them because they can hang out, and be loud in lower level TV room
- Parent’s love them because they can’t hear their children in the lower level TV room
- Lower level transitional space from Playrooms, TV/Dens, Office, B & B space
- Expansion or redefining interior space for personal space preferences
- Exterior Roof Line and Façade can easily be changed for a different curb appeal
What famous people were raised in a Raised Ranch House? My go to bible, Wikipedia, can’t answer this question, but it did have some TV show locations that brought back some memories like the Brady Bunch and Knots Landing. I was hoping the Kardashian clan started out this
way, but couldn’t find any facts about their housing before celebrity life. However, lots of cool people have, so I interviewed some friends that grew up in raised ranch style houses, to get a fresh perspective.
Where Can I Get One?
I thought you’d never ask. This well built, attractive, and secluded Raised Ranch home is located at 7 Faxon Green, within a short walk to Newp
ort’s First Beach, Cliff Walk, or Downtown. Privacy, this home has it! Nestled in a secluded cul-de-sac abutting coastal estates this home offers 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, 2 car garage, open layout, two fireplaces, hardwood floors, large entry closet, deck, and all on a half acre lot. Land and location in Newport. There is room for that family pool, create a master suite and bath, or an easy conversion of lower level to create an in-law space with full living room with Fireplace, bedroom, bath, and kitchenette and laundry. Sweet!
7 Faxon Green – Newport RI